Healthier and tastier than store-bought options, this homemade applesauce mixes well with cottage cheese. Use a blend of different apples—like Gala, Golden Delicious, Fiji, and Granny Smith—to create a more complex taste.
Lunchbox Applesauce Video
- 6 medium apples, unpeeled, cored
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon each of allspice, nutmeg, and ginger
- Dice apples into ½-inch cubes and coat with lemon juice.
- Bring cider to a boil in a saucepan with Teflon™ nonstick coating. Cook until the liquid reduces by half.
- Add apples and cook uncovered 12-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the maple syrup, almond extract, and spices.
- Cook on low another 5 minutes until apples are tender but holding their shape; transfer to a bowl and mash with a wire whisk.
- Serve warm or cold. Store in the refrigerator.