This side dish complements beef, chicken, and pasta. A garnish of edible flowers—available in the fresh cut herb section of many supermarkets—adds color, taste, and nutrients.
Spring Peas and Mushrooms Video
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound mix white and brown mushrooms, stems trimmed short
- 1 pound exotic mushroom mix, tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh (or frozen) peas
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dried herb mix of choice
- Handful edible flower mix
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large 2-handled skillet with Teflon™ nonstick. Cook until reduced; pour into a small bowl.
- Return pan to the stove and add the olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic lightly.
- Cut a portion of the mushrooms in quarters and another portion in half and then add to the pan with the butter.
- Cook 6 minutes to brown lightly and season with salt and pepper.
- Add peas, cream, herbs, and reserved broth.
- Cook 3-4 minutes until the liquid reduces further.
- Garnish with the flowers and serve right from the warm pan, or transfer food to a serving plate and then garnish.