Using a griddle pan or skillet instead of a toaster lets you pre-butter your bread. It takes just a little longer than a toaster but results in a perfectly-toasted slice with a sweet caramelized flavor and texture. Don't want the sweet? Use plain butter for perfect, every day toast.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 8-10 slices sandwich bread, any style
- Coarse salt, optional
- Mix together the butter vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spread generously and evenly onto both sides of the bread.
- Place on a hot griddle or skillet pan with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Cook over medium heat until golden brown on each side.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and serve.