Short-grain rice, condensed milk, and a little butter modernize this old-time luscious dessert. Stovetop cooking instead of baking keeps it simple and creamy.
Rice Pudding Video
- 1 cup short grain rice (such as Arborio)
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Whipped cream
- Combine the rice, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a 2-quart saucepan with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Cover and bring to a slow boil; uncover.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir often until rice is soft and the mixture thick but creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add condensed milk and butter and mix well.
- Cool in saucepan 8-10 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Serve warm or cool. To serve, add a little whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.