Use dense, crusty breads for dipping. Out of fresh herbs? Substitute dried herbs, but just use half the amount.
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon each finely chopped fresh oregano and rosemary (use 1 ½ teaspoons of each if you only have dried herbs)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced capers, optional
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In an 8-inch skillet with Teflon™ nonstick coating, add ⅓ cup olive oil and cook stirring garlic until aromatic—about 40 seconds; don’t brown the garlic.
- Add the remaining olive oil and remove the pan from the heat.
- Use the back of a spoon to press the fresh herbs in a small bowl—or use mortar and pestle if you have one—to release their oils and flavors.
- Add capers and salt to the small bowl, if desired.
- Pour herb mixture into center of the pan; stir.
- Pour into a shallow dipping bowl or keep in the pan and sprinkle parsley and red pepper flakes on top for garnish.