Strawberry Lemon Shortbread Bars Video
- 2½ cups shortbread cookie crumbs*
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ stick diced very soft butter (not melted)
- Zest from 6 small lemons**
- 1 cup strained fresh juice
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 2½ cups white granulated sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
*Use a food processor to crush the cookies or put the cookies in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
**To juice lemons more easily, roll-press the lemons first.
- Heat oven to 350 °F (177 °C) and bring all ingredients to room temperature before preparing.
- Combine cookie crumbs & powdered sugar.
- Add softened butter and 2 tablespoons of the lemon zest.
- Evenly palm-press crumbs into the bottom of a 9x13-inch Teflon™ nonstick coated pan.
- Bake 6-8 minutes until just set and barely brown; cool on wire rack.
- Beat eggs and add the 1 cup lemon juice and remaining zest.
- Whisk in sugar, then flour, and mix until smooth; pour onto cooled crust. Sprinkle sliced berries evenly on top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the middle sets.
- Cool completely on a rack and then in the fridge before cutting into bars and serving.