If you're looking for a beef or pork alternative, try these eggplant meatballs. They're flavored with the same ingredients as traditional meatballs, so no one will miss the meat!
Spaghetti and Eggplant "Meatballs" Video
- 1 eggplant (approximately 1¼ pounds) trimmed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fine Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 cups of spaghetti sauce
- Dice eggplant into ½ -inch chunks; soften in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain, pat dry, and cool.
- Pulse in food processor to blend and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the beaten egg and mix in garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, and cheese.
- Mix with fork and form into 1½-inch balls.
- Heat oil over medium in a large skillet with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Cook turning all sides until golden brown.
- Add red sauce to pan and simmer 15-20 minutes to infuse flavors.