Risotto's creamy texture makes it a good choice as a hot cereal on a cold winter's morning. To make ahead, prepare through step five; save the fruit and nut topping until you're ready to reheat and serve.
PB & J Rise Up Risotto Video
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups Arborio or other short-grain rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups or more unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup fruit preserves of choice
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup each: fresh cherries, sliced toasted almonds
- Orange slices for garnish
- In a medium Teflon™ nonstick coated saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in rice and salt; cook uncovered over medium heat until the water is absorbed. Watch carefully to avoid scorching the pan.
- Meanwhile, warm milk in microwave; add ½ cup at a time to the rice/salt mixture, stirring constantly to absorb, until only ½ cup of milk remains.
- Stir the honey into the pot and then add the remaining ½ cup milk.
- Remove from the heat heat and stir in the peanut butter and preserves.
- Serve in pre-heated bowls and garnish with cherries, almonds, a dash of cinnamon and an orange twist.