Brussels sprouts, cabbage's tiny cousin, offer a cheesy, sweet flavor and creamy texture in this must-do side dish that complements any main course.
Lil Sprouts au Gratin Video
- 2 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 ounces tiny-diced pancetta
- ¾ cup chopped shallots (about 2 medium bulbs)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth concentrate*
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup or more chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup regular or Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
*Use two tablespoons of a dried seasoning mix as a substitute for chicken broth concentrate.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (177 °C).
- Blanche sprouts in a medium Teflon™ nonstick saucepan for about 3 minutes; drain, cool under cold water and slice thinly; set aside.
- Wipe pan. Cook pancetta over medium heat until lightly brown; set aside.
- Drain all but 1½ tablespoons of the fat from the pan and cook shallots until soft, about 2 mins.
- Add flour and whisk for 1 minute; then add cream, milk, and broth concentrate stirring constantly until thick.
- Sprinkle in thyme, nutmeg, and pepper, and stir in the sprouts.
- Transfer to a 9x13-inch baking pan with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Top with the reserved pancetta, parsley, cheese, breadcrumbs. Drizzle butter over all.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.