Effective Circuit Protection. Improved Dielectrics. Easy Application
Unlike conventional niobium superconductors, superconductor films function at temperatures readily achieved by cooling with liquid nitrogen or mechanical refrigeration. Teflon™ AF solutions protect these films based on metal oxides using a 2-mm application of passivation coating.
Sapphire wafer with superconductive film made with Teflon™ AF solution. This wafer functions as the front end of a two-channel microwave receiver.
Benefits of Using Teflon™ AF Solutions
Teflon™ AF products provide a unique combination of superior properties that are needed in demanding, high-performance applications. The unique structure and properties of Teflon AF enable its use in superconductor films and other applications. These properties offer:
- Effective protection against atmospheric acids and better adhesion than typical polyimide passivation coatings
- Durability by adding good resistance to boiling water
- Easy application via conventional spin coating techniques to a controlled thickness down to one micrometer (μm)
- Higher electrical performance by increasing velocity of propagation and reducing cross talk in superconductor-based devices because of its low dielectric constant (1.89 to 1.93)
- Selective solubility in perfluorinated solvents
- Optical clarity and transmission from the deep UV range into the IR range
Looking at the Past and Toward the Future
The History of Teflon™
Discovered in 1938, Teflon™ continues to evolve and drive innovation. Learn more.
It’s time to re-think what’s possible with Teflon™ products. Learn more.