Versatile PTFE Resin Additives
Part of the Chemours family of fluoropolymers, this product is a white, free-flowing polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) resin used as an additive in other materials and systems.
Unlike PTFE granular and fine powders, Zonyl™ fluoroadditives have:
- Small particle sizes ranging from 2 to 20 µm
- Low molecular weight
- Different particle shapes and morphology
- Versatility that allows use over a wide temperature range
Depending on how they are handled and processed, these fluoroadditives provide nonstick properties and improve lubricity, wear resistance, and reinforcing properties.
Zonyl™ fluoroadditives are primarily intended for use as additives in mixtures with other solid or liquid materials that can:
- Enhance abrasion resistance
- Reduce the coefficient of friction and mechanical wear
- Reduce surface contamination
- Modify appearance
Features and Benefits of Zonyl™ Fluoroadditives
A wide variety of industries depend on Zonyl™ fluoroadditives for specific benefits, such as their ability to infuse hosts with some of PTFE's more unique properties.
Some applications include:
- Thermoplastic parts, like gears, benefit from improved wear resistance, reduced friction, and elimination of stick-slip behavior.
- Diverse environments that use elastomer seals see improved tear and abrasion resistance.
- Lithographic, flexographic, and gravure inks gain better image protection and higher productivity.
All-purpose solid lubricants can use Zonyl™ fluoroadditives alone in powder form or in a paste or spray. When dispersed in water or organic solvents, the powder provides another option for direct or additive use. In paste form, it's able to protect wear surfaces in hostile environments and improve the performance of high-performance sealants.
Chemours recommends against using Zonyl™ fluoroadditives as molding or extrusion powders because of their inherent low molecular weight. Learn more about safe handling and use in the individual product technical data sheets.
Choosing the Right Zonyl™ Fluoroadditive
Zonyl™ fluoroadditives come in a range of product grades, with characteristics that affect the process and performance of desired end products.
Many factors influence selecting the correct additive, including:
- Particle size, distribution, and form
- Surface area
- FDA compliance/EEC food approval
No Universal Formula
The plastics, inks, and elastomers industries use many processes to produce a wide range of products. Even small differences in these processes or host materials may require different powder characteristics to achieve the desired result. Zonyl™ fluoroadditives provide the right combination of powder characteristics to enhance the effectiveness of the host materials and meet diverse application needs.
For detailed information, see the table below. To discuss your specific industry and application needs, please contact us.