You just need three ingredients—and some patience—for this tasty cookout relish. Slow-cooking onions draws out their sugars for a rich, toffee-flavored condiment to top grilled meats, chicken, seafood, or cold summer meals.
- 2 medium purple onions
- 4 medium yellow onions
- ¼ cup (½ stick butter)
- Peel and cut onions in half and then into ¼-inch slices.
- Place in a large shallow skillet with Teflon™ nonstick coating.
- Cover and sauté on medium-low heat for 8 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the liquid reduces.
- Add butter; cook on medium-low stirring frequently for 30 minutes or until the onions become caramel-colored.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.