Fewer tools and less cook time create the fastest mac-and-cheese ever in just one pot. No need to drain the macaroni, which cooks in a milk sauce—and since the starch binds the sauce, you don't need a flour roux, either.
Pumpkin Mac-n-Cheese with Apple Crunch Video
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 pound dry macaroni
- ½ stick butter
- 1½ cups canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 2 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup each: grated Parmesan and shredded smokey Gouda
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- ½ cup coarsely chopped apple chip crumbs, optional
- Add macaroni to milk and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven with Teflon™ nonstick. Cook 4-5 minutes until al dente, stirring often.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Season with spices and stir in the cheeses.
- Serve with crumbled dried apple chips, if desired.