You can freeze extra pie filling to use later or in another recipe. Warm the caramel sauce so it pours more easily.
Spiced Apple Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Video
- 1 (15.25 oz) box white or spiced cake mix
- 2½ cups spiced apple pie filling, chopped
- 24 soft caramel candies
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Vanilla icing or whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350 °F (177 °C).
- Use finger or paper towel to lightly spread vegetable oil in the Teflon™ nonstick coating muffin cups.
- Prepare cake mix as directed.
- Fill muffin cups halfway full with batter. Gently press spiced apple pie filling into center of batter (don’t submerge).
- Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean; allow cupcakes to rest for 5 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack.
- In a pour-spout saucepan with Teflon™ nonstick, combine caramels and milk over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sea salt.
- Pour a little caramel sauce onto a serving dish and add the cupcake. Sprinkle the top with pecans, frost with icing or add whipped cream. Drizzle additional caramel sauce over top and dust with cinnamon. Repeat for each serving.
- Reserve leftover caramel sauce if you're not serving every cupcake immediately.