Make flavored ice cubes to avoid diluting the tea. Add edible flowers, whole herb leaves, or berries before you fill the ice trays for a fun, flavorful surprise.
- 4½ cups fresh water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 scraped vanilla beans or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 8 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 6 each cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon of whole pink peppercorns
- 6 star anise (more for cubes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped edible flowers, mint leaves, or herbs, optional
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 bags of black tea leaves
- 3 bags of red vanilla tea (rooibus)
- 2 cups milk (any type)
- Boil water in a 3-quart pour-spout pan featuring Teflon™ nonstick.
- Add cinnamon sticks, vanilla seeds or extract, ginger, cloves, cardamom pods, peppercorns, and star anise. Simmer 10 minutes to make a spice concentrate.
- Remove from heat and strain concentrate into one ice cube tray (add star anise, flowers, and mint in tray for fun if desired); freeze.
- Bring remaining brew back to boil and remove from the heat. Whisk in vanilla, add teabags; steep 8 minutes.
- Strain tea (should be 3½ cups) and chill one hour.
- Divide ice cubes evenly among glasses. Pour ⅔ cup of tea into each glass; top with milk. Stir & serve.