Keep Feathered Friends Safe
While the kitchen may be the heart of the home, it’s not necessarily the best place for your feathered friends to live. Cooking fumes, smoke, and odors that have little-to-no effect on people can quickly sicken and even kill some birds—and it can happen very quickly.
Unattended cookware that overheats—or cookware that’s heated up without anything added to the pan—can release fumes that are toxic to birds. To keep them safe:
- Keep them out of the kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Don’t leave heated cookware unattended.
- Don’t preheat cookware on high heat settings.
- Always open a window or turn on the exhaust fan for ventilation when you’re cooking.
Read more about cooking safety tips for bird owners.